Originated from Ireland, St. Patrick’s Day is a cultural and religious celebration held on 17 March to commemorate the patron saint of Ireland. Up until the late 20th century, St. Patrick’s Day was often a bigger celebration around the world than it was in Ireland. Interestingly, it was emigrants, particularly those to North America, who transformed St. Patrick’s Day into a largely secular holiday celebrating the Irish culture.
At Andrew Kerr Care, we are all about celebrating – celebrating living, community and care moments. To celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this year, we have come up with 2 healthy green recipes for you and your loved ones. It’s not St. Patrick’s Day without a bit of green and shamrocks!
Spinach and kale soup
This might seem a little boring, but we promise you that it is delicious and PACKED with nutrients.
- 2/3 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bunch kale (about 8 cups of the leaves, stalks discarded)
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach (about 3-4 cups)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Cook quinoa in 5 cups vegetable broth and stir occasionally until you reach a boil.
- Add kale and flatten down leaves until they start to wilt (about 2 minutes)
- Quickly add spinach and stir up the kale so spinach is in the water. (about 1 minute)
- Blend with either immersion blender or in an actual blender until smooth. Add lemon juice and stir.
This smoothie is traditionally made with full creamed milk, but you can substitute the milk in this for other non-dairy alternatives such as almond milk, rice milk, or soy milk. Coconut milk will be delicious with avocado, but it may increase the overall fat content of the smoothie as the avocado is already a fairly fatty fruit (good fat).
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3/4-1 cup milk or milk alternative
- 2 tbsp sugar (or skip the sugar if you’d prefer a healthier version)
- In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a glass, pop in a straw and enjoy!
We hope you enjoyed these healthy green recipes and happy St Patricks Day!
At Andrew Kerr Care we love creating living, community and care moments. We believe independence, family and community are important to having a happy life. Andrew Kerr Care prides itself on outstanding clinical care. Our Registered Nurses are rostered on for every shift to ensure appropriate clinical care. For more information.